Traditional events
Home > Before coming > Basic travel information
> Procedures for entering and leaving Japan

Procedures for entering and leaving Japan


Citizens of some countries need to have a visa to enter Japan, while some nationalities are exempt. Please note that you had better check with the embassy or a tourist bureau. You can also get information from URL of MOFA of Japan.

Procedure for obtaining a visa

  • Get a visa application sheet from consulate department of a Japanese Embassy. Then, prepare the required documents. Documents to be submitted with visa applications are indicated at Embassy.
  • Bring the set of documents to the consulate department of a Japanese Embassy and apply for a visa. If all of your documents are in order, you will receive a temporary receipt. Embassy needs a few days for checking your documents. Please keep it until Embassy makes contact to you.
  • After some working day, result would be reached to you. In case your documents are unclear or incomplete, they will tell you what additional documents you need to submit.

An embarkation / disembarkation card

The documents you will need for entering and leaving Japan are available at the airport. Usually, you can also get them on the plane.

Other Points of Concern

  • If your passport is due to expire in less than 6 months, you might be denied to enter to Japan.
  • It takes 2 days to 1 week to receive the visa after your application. When you submit your documents at a Japanese Embassy, you might be kept waiting for a long time.
page top