Choose by theme
Uji River Cormorant Fishing
You can climb aboard a barge, row out and experience one of the traditions that dates back to the Heian Period. Namely, catching fresh water trout using cormorant birds. The season runs from the mid-June to mid-September. In the heat of the Kyoto evening, if you ride a boat, the cool breeze of the river is pleasant, and the torchlight flickering over the boat and cormorant fisherman creates a magical atmosphere impossible to forget. For groups of 15 or more you can have a private boat, and while enjoying dinner aboard can learn about this tradition. Dinner is unavailable for small groups, but you can still enjoy the boat ride. Bookings must be made in Japanese.
- Address :
- Uji Tonoshima Area, Uji City
- Telephone :
- Uji City Tourist Association: 0774-23-3334
- Business Hours :
- End of June to End of September
- Closed :
- Cancellations may occur due to bad weather.
- Access :
- JR Nara Line to "Uji", 15 min walk.Keihan Uji Line to "Uji",10 min walk.
- Fee :
- Cormorant Fishing Boat Trip Fee
Public Boat: General 1,800 yen, Elementary School Students 900 yen
Private Boat: 10 People - 25,000 yen, 15 people 37,500 yen, 20 people 50,000 yen