Print
World Heritage

Choose by theme


Enryaku - ji Temple

photo name

Enryaku - ji Temple was established in 788 by Saicho as the head temple of the Tendai sect, on Mount Hiei - which was believed to be the portal through which evil entered the capital. Containing buildings dating from the 14th to 17th centuries, this temple educated numerous great priests who founded important Buddhist sects, including Honen, Shinran, Eisai, Dogen and Nichiren, starting in the Heian Period.Enryaku - ji Temple is still imbued with a solemn atmosphere as a place of training. Included within its expansive precincts are such large buildings as the Main Hall (Konponchudo, National Treasure), the Lecture Hall (Daikodo), Shaka Hall (Shakado) and Yokawachudo. The Lecture Hall and Shaka Hall are both Important Cultural Properties.


Address :
4220 Honmachi, Sakamoto, Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture
Telephone :
077-578-0001
Access :
Take Keihan bus or Kyoto bus to Enryakuji, or from Sakamoto in Otsu City take cable
Open :
8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Fee :
Admission to temples:Adult 550 yen, Junior/Senior High School Students 300 yen, Elementary School Students and Under Elementary school Age: Free Admission to temples and national treasure hall set:Adult 1000 yen, Junior/Senior High School Students 550 yen, Elementary School Students and Under Elementary school Age: no set charge(Admission to national treasure hall 100 yen)

page top