Choose by theme
Kinkaku - ji Temple (Rokuon - ji Temple)
Rokuon - ji Temple was originally built as a villa by Ashikaga Yoshimitsu, who had taken possession of a mountain villa of Saionji Temple in 1397. It was converted into a temple after Yoshimitsu's death. Officially named Rokuonji Temple, this temple is famous both in Japan and abroad as a symbol of Kitayama culture. The Kinkaku, or "Golden Pavilion," was built as the Shariden. Covered with gold, the image of the pavilion, which stands at the edge of Kyokochi pond, is reflected in the water. Major repair work performed in 1987 has further enhanced its brilliance.
- Address :
- 1 Kinkakuji-cho, Kita-ku, Kyoto City
- Telephone :
- Access :
- Take city bus to Kinkakuji Mae
- Open :
- 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Fee :
- General: 400 yen
- Elementary and Junior High School Students: 300 yen